How Do I Buy an Ex Motability Car Direct?
Motability is a scheme in the United Kingdom that allows disabled individuals to lease a vehicle using their government-funded mobility allowance. However, after the lease period ends, these cars become available for sale as ex Motability vehicles. Buying an ex Motability car directly can be a cost-effective way to own a well-maintained vehicle. Here’s a guide on how to purchase one.
1. Research: Start your search by browsing online platforms that specialize in ex Motability cars. You can also visit local dealerships or auctions that may have these vehicles available.
2. Vehicle History: Obtain the vehicle’s history report to ensure it has been well-maintained and serviced regularly. This will give you an idea of any potential issues or accidents the car may have had.
3. Condition Check: Inspect the vehicle thoroughly, both inside and out, for any signs of damage or wear. Consider taking a trusted mechanic with you to assess the car’s mechanical condition.
4. Test Drive: Take the car for a test drive to gauge its performance and comfort. Pay attention to the brakes, steering, suspension, and any unusual noises.
5. Price Comparison: Research the market value of similar models to ensure you are paying a fair price. Take into account the car’s age, mileage, and condition.
6. Payment Options: Determine how you plan to pay for the vehicle. You may choose to pay in cash, finance the purchase, or use a part-exchange option if you have a current vehicle.
7. Documentation: Ensure all legal paperwork is in order, including the V5C logbook, MOT certificate, and service history. Notify the DVLA of the change in ownership to transfer the vehicle into your name.
1. Can I buy an ex Motability car if I am not disabled?
Yes, anyone can purchase an ex Motability car once it is available for sale.
2. Can I modify the car after purchase?
Yes, you are free to modify the car as per your requirements after buying it.
3. Are ex Motability cars covered by a warranty?
Most ex Motability cars come with the remainder of the manufacturer’s warranty, but it is always good to check with the seller.
4. Can I buy an ex Motability car online?
Yes, many platforms offer online purchasing options. However, it is advisable to inspect the car in person before finalizing the purchase.
5. Do I need to inform the DVLA if I buy an ex Motability car?
Yes, you must inform the DVLA and transfer the ownership within a specified period.
6. Can I get finance for an ex Motability car?
Yes, many finance options are available for purchasing ex Motability cars.
7. Can I part-exchange my current vehicle for an ex Motability car?
Yes, many dealerships accept part-exchange options, allowing you to trade in your current vehicle for a discount on the ex Motability car’s price.