How to Get Locked Keys Out of a Car
Getting locked out of your car can be a stressful and frustrating experience, especially when you are in a rush. However, there are several methods you can try to retrieve your keys and gain access to your vehicle. Here are a few tips on how to get locked keys out of a car in the United Kingdom.
1. Spare Key: The simplest solution is to have a spare key. Keep a spare key with a trusted family member, friend, or neighbor who can bring it to you in case of emergencies.
2. Call a Locksmith: Contact a professional locksmith who specializes in car lockouts. They have the necessary tools and expertise to unlock your car without causing any damage.
3. Coat Hanger Method: Straighten a wire coat hanger and bend one end into a hook shape. Slide the hanger through the top corner of the car door and try to hook the lock mechanism to unlock the door.
4. Tennis Ball Technique: Cut a small hole on one side of a tennis ball and press it firmly against the keyhole. Squeeze the ball, creating pressure that may unlock the car door.
5. Window Breaker and Seatbelt Cutter: If all else fails, keep a window breaker and seatbelt cutter tool in your car. These can be used to safely break a window in an emergency.
6. Call the Police: In some cases, the police may be able to assist you. However, this should be a last resort and should only be used in emergency situations.
7. Preventative Measures: To avoid future lockouts, consider investing in a keyless entry system or a key finder device that helps locate misplaced keys.
1. Is it illegal to break into your own car in the UK?
No, it is not illegal to break into your own car in the UK. However, it is recommended to use non-destructive methods or seek professional help to avoid damage.
2. How much does a locksmith charge for unlocking a car in the UK?
The cost of hiring a locksmith varies, but it typically ranges from £60 to £120 in the UK.
3. Can I use a smartphone app to unlock my car?
Some car models offer smartphone apps that can unlock the car, but this feature is not available in all vehicles. Check if your car has this capability.
4. Can I use a shoestring to unlock my car?
Using a shoestring to unlock a car is an outdated method that may not work on modern vehicles with advanced locking systems.
5. Can I use a slim jim to unlock my car?
Using a slim jim to unlock a car is possible, but it requires skill and knowledge of your car’s locking mechanism. It is best to hire a professional locksmith.
6. How long does it take for a locksmith to unlock a car?
The time it takes for a locksmith to unlock a car depends on the complexity of the lock and the expertise of the locksmith. Typically, it can take between 5 to 30 minutes.
7. Will my car insurance cover the cost of a locksmith?
Car insurance policies differ, so it is important to check your policy details. Some insurance companies may cover the cost of a locksmith, while others may not.