How to Know if My Vehicle Is Taxed
In the United Kingdom, it is a legal requirement for all vehicles to be taxed before being driven on public roads. Vehicle tax, also known as road tax or vehicle excise duty (VED), is an annual fee that must be paid to the government. Failure to pay vehicle tax can result in hefty fines and penalties. Therefore, it is crucial for vehicle owners to know whether their vehicle is taxed or not. Here are a few ways to determine if your vehicle is taxed:
1. Check the vehicle tax status online: The easiest and quickest way to check if your vehicle is taxed is by visiting the official UK government website. There, you can enter your vehicle registration number and check its tax status.
2. Look for a tax disc: In the past, a tax disc would be displayed on the windscreen of a taxed vehicle. However, since October 2014, tax discs are no longer issued or required.
3. Contact the DVLA: If you are unable to check the tax status online, you can contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) by phone and provide them with your vehicle details to inquire about its tax status.
4. Check for a SORN: If your vehicle is not in use and is kept off the public road, you may have declared it as off-road and obtained a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). If your vehicle has a SORN, it is not required to be taxed.
1. How often do I need to tax my vehicle?
Vehicle tax must be renewed annually unless your vehicle is exempt.
2. Can I transfer my vehicle tax to a new owner?
No, vehicle tax is not transferable. The new owner must tax the vehicle in their name.
3. What happens if I forget to renew my vehicle tax?
If your vehicle tax has expired, you can face penalties, fines, and even having your vehicle clamped or seized.
4. Are electric vehicles exempt from road tax?
Yes, electric vehicles are currently exempt from paying road tax.
5. Can I pay vehicle tax in installments?
No, vehicle tax must be paid in full at the time of renewal.
6. Can I tax my vehicle without an MOT?
No, you must have a valid MOT certificate to tax your vehicle.
7. Can I drive my vehicle without displaying a tax disc?
Yes, since October 2014, tax discs are no longer issued or required to be displayed on vehicles.
Remember, it is essential to ensure that your vehicle is taxed to avoid any legal consequences.