How to Remove Tar From Your Car in the United Kingdom
Driving on UK roads often means encountering tar, which can leave unsightly stains on your car’s exterior. Fortunately, there are several effective methods to remove tar from your vehicle and restore its pristine appearance. Here are some steps you can follow to tackle this issue:
1. Preparation: Park your vehicle in a shaded area and allow it to cool down. Gather the necessary supplies, including a tar remover, soft cloth or sponge, and car wax.
2. Test a small area: Before applying any tar remover, test it on an inconspicuous area of your car to ensure it doesn’t damage the paintwork.
3. Apply tar remover: Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and apply the tar remover to the affected areas. Allow it to soak for a few minutes.
4. Gently scrub: Use a soft cloth or sponge to gently scrub the tar-stained areas in a circular motion. Apply light pressure to avoid scratching the paintwork.
5. Rinse and repeat: Rinse the area with clean water and inspect for any remaining tar. If necessary, repeat the process until the tar is completely removed.
6. Wash and dry: Give your car a thorough wash to remove any residue from the tar remover. Dry it using a microfiber cloth to prevent water spots.
7. Apply car wax: Once the tar is removed, apply a layer of car wax to protect the paintwork and give your vehicle a shiny finish.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I use household products to remove tar from my car?
While some household products may work, it’s recommended to use a tar remover specifically designed for automotive use to avoid damaging the paintwork.
2. Will removing tar damage my car’s paint?
If done correctly using appropriate products and techniques, tar removal should not damage your car’s paintwork.
3. Can I use a pressure washer to remove tar?
Using a pressure washer may be effective, but be cautious as high-pressure water can potentially damage the paintwork if not used properly.
4. How often should I remove tar from my car?
It depends on how frequently you encounter tar on the road. Regularly inspect your vehicle and remove tar as soon as you notice any stains.
5. Can I prevent tar from sticking to my car in the first place?
Applying a layer of car wax can create a protective barrier that makes it easier to remove tar. Regularly washing and waxing your car can also help prevent tar buildup.
6. What if the tar stains are stubborn and won’t come off?
In such cases, it’s best to seek professional help from a car detailing service to safely remove the stubborn tar stains.
7. Is it necessary to reapply wax after removing tar?
Yes, applying a fresh layer of wax after removing tar will help protect your car’s paintwork and maintain its shine.