What to Do When Keys Locked in Car
Locking your keys inside your car can be a stressful and frustrating experience, especially if you are in a hurry or far away from home. However, it is important to remain calm and take the necessary steps to retrieve your keys. Here are some tips on what to do when your keys are locked inside your car in the United Kingdom.
1. Assess the situation: Take a moment to check if any windows or doors are unlocked. Sometimes, in the rush of the moment, you may have missed an open entry point.
2. Call for help: If you have access to a phone, contact a reliable locksmith or roadside assistance service. They have the expertise and tools to safely unlock your car without causing any damage.
3. Check your insurance coverage: Some car insurance policies offer coverage for key lockouts. If you have this coverage, contact your insurance provider for assistance.
4. Find a spare key: If you have a spare key, try to locate it. It could be at home, with a family member, or a trusted friend who can bring it to you.
5. Utilize a coat hanger: In some cases, a coat hanger can be used to unlock your car. However, this method requires caution and may cause damage to your vehicle if not done correctly. It is advisable to leave this method to professionals.
6. Avoid DIY methods: It’s important to resist the temptation to try DIY methods seen on the internet, such as using a tennis ball or slim jim. These methods can cause damage to your car and may not even work.
7. Prevent future lockouts: After retrieving your keys, take precautions to avoid future lockouts. Keep a spare key in a safe place, consider a keyless entry system, or always double-check before leaving your car.
1. Will my car insurance cover lockouts?
Some car insurance policies offer coverage for lockouts. Check your policy or contact your insurance provider for details.
2. How much does a locksmith cost in the UK?
The cost of a locksmith service varies depending on the provider and location. It is best to inquire about pricing beforehand.
3. Can I break the window to get my keys?
Breaking a window should be a last resort, as it can be dangerous and costly to repair. It is advisable to call a professional for assistance.
4. How long does it take for a locksmith to unlock a car?
The time it takes for a locksmith to unlock a car can vary depending on the situation. It is best to ask the locksmith for an estimated time when you contact them.
5. Can I unlock my car without professional help?
While there are DIY methods available, it is recommended to seek professional help to avoid damage to your vehicle.
6. How can I prevent lockouts in the future?
Keeping a spare key in a safe location, double-checking before locking your car, or using a keyless entry system are ways to prevent future lockouts.
7. Are locksmith services available 24/7 in the UK?
Many locksmiths in the UK offer 24/7 emergency services. It is best to check with local locksmiths for their availability.